Los Angeles, CA
Amity Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the inclusion and habilitation of individuals, children and families marginalized by homelessness, poverty, addiction, crime and more. Our Culinary Art Department intends to revolutionize food delivery in the non-profit sector to aid in the promotion of health and wellness through proper diet and nutrition. Our goal is to significantly reduce obesity, diabetes, hyper-tension and more for those we serve. Menus are creative, moving towards plant based, without soda or other sugar based drinks. We are seeking a cook who has our same nutritional goals, interested in making a difference; working in a kitchen that produces 600 meals a day.
- Oversee the safe and efficient operation of the culinary area.
- Overall management of daily planning, preparation and presentation of three (3) balanced meals a day for the entire Beacon facility.
- Supervise the Assistant Cook’s/Food service workers (optional)
- Ensures that ordering, preparation, planning, serving and storage of food conform to the CDCR policy and procedures and meets all State and local health department sanitation requirements and food preparation standards, including those of the Los Angeles County of Health Department.
- Plan and serve meals.
- Prepares meals and helps maintain a high standard of physical excellence in the food service dining room and kitchen.
- Ensures that menus containing pork or pork derivatives, as well as food allergens are identified clearly in order to accommodate special diets for religious or medical reasons.
- Taste tests all food prior to serving and retains a sampling of each meal for 24 hours to determine possible food contamination.
- Assists in the training and development of students learning the vocation of food service which includes cooking, food preparation, and presentation of the meal, dining room etiquette, food storage procedures and daily hygiene.
- Follows the Community schedule and presents all meals on time.
Skills and Abilities
- Works in safe manner.
- Ability to prioritize competing demands and effectively manage multiple tasks.
- Self-directed and motivated; able to meet established deadlines.
- Ability to organize a kitchen and team of food workers.
- Ability to plan and manage food service budget.
- Must be able to life and/or move up to 50lbs
- A minimum of three year experience.
- Clean driving record
- High School Diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Pass CDCR clearance
Possess a valid California Food Handlers Card
Within ninety (90) days of hire, obtain First Aid and CPR certification AND pass a physical examination and tuberculosis test from a health professional.